[Home][2018 Index] [TCML] discharging caps through NST [Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

[TCML] discharging caps through NST

Hello all, my first posting ....

I am building a standard tesla coil (NST, 15kv at 30 m/a etc)

When working, if I switch off when the caps are charged but the spark gap hasn't yet fired,

(say they are charged to 10kv), than the caps can now discharge back through my NST secondary

via the tesla coil primary coil as all are in series.

My NST secondary resistance measures 20k ohms.  So 10kv is put

across this equating to 1/2 AMP !!.  Can the NST fine secondary windings take this continually?

Also as the caps discharge quickly via the NST anyway,do I need bleed resistors across the caps?

(4 doorknobs in parallel)

Thanks.