From: derstrom8--- via Tesla <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
To: tesla <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thu, Dec 27, 2018 10:44 am
Subject: Re: [TCML] First VTTC - Some help needed choosing tubes

Hi Chris,
I have been on the fence regarding a staccato controller, though I most definitely have the means and ability to make one. I think I'll probably go that route, and thus will probably use the doubler (depending on the capabilities of the tube I end up using, of course).
I am also flexible on the secondary size, I just mentioned 4.5" x 16-18" because I already have PVC this size on-hand. I'm pretty sure I've seen coils this size run from 811 tubes before. That being said I'm still looking at other tubes, most recently the GU-81M pentode. This tube seems rather beefy but is still pretty cheap and would fit my budget. Here's the listing: https://www.ebay.com/itm/GU-81M-81M-generator-pentode-tube-Tesla-Coil-750W-50MHZ-Military-USSR/113446069628 . It's used but looks to be in excellent condition. Seller has 100% positive feedback, granted there are only 92 ratings. Still seems fairly trustworthy though and I think might be worth the bet. I'd just need to know what to do with the extra electrodes. I've seen them used for current limiting and other things, but I think for my first VTTC keeping it simple is the best option.
I have read through Steve Ward's VTTC pages a number of times. There's lots of great information there, and I find myself continually going back and re-reading it to see if I can glean more from it.
Rest well,
Matt Lewis, Fairlee VT