[Home][2018 Index] Re: [TCML] VB: First light [Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: [TCML] VB: First light

Jan,

That is one very interesting coil with great potential. Nice to see a
robust rotary, but a I'm not too sure on the choice of MMC size though,
as you will never get a full charge into 300nF with an ARSG, or even
with an SRSG unless you connect to the grid direct :-). You may have
been better off going smaller and arranging things so you have a higher
voltage rating, this would also allow more turns on the primary. Some
people don't like  a low turns primary as they give more losses with the
increased current, but personally I don't mind the losses as it often
results in brighter streamers, rather than the weaker ones that a single
current starved NST tends to give. (10Kv max in the UK and 50mA
generally)

I don't know about costs in your country, but I found winding my own HV
tranny to be an expensive undertaking, and when a pig did come along the
cost was roughly the same. Although there is a satisfaction from winding
transformers and ballasts.

Phil

P Strauss's coil, similar sized

https://www.flickr.com/photos/33962508@N03/albums/72157687370041666