[Home][2017 Index] Re: [TCML] Spark gap loss [Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: [TCML] Spark gap loss

Hi Steve,

Thank you for posting the link to this interesting paper.
https://ttu-ir.tdl.org/ttu-ir/bitstream/handle/
2346/21578/31295003909867.pdf?...1
<https://ttu-ir.tdl.org/ttu-ir/bitstream/handle/2346/21578/31295003909867.pdf?...1>The
take aways that I found are:
1) Losses were compared for gaps using air, nitrogen, and SF6.  SF6 had the
highest losses, and air had the lowest.
2) Losses were compared for electrode materials Copper-Tungsten, Graphite,
and Stainless Steel.  It was determined that the electrode material has no
statistically significant effect on the arc resistance.
3) Losses were compared for gas pressures of 1, 2, and 3 atmospheres.  Low
pressure (one atmosphere) results in higher losses than high pressures (two
or three atmospheres).

Re 1), I'm pleased to hear that using air is the best of these 3 options,
although I recall hearing that using hydrogen was used in early gaps, and I
see references to hydrogen in contemporary abstracts for high rep-rate
gaps, no doubt for good reason.  But we'll all probably live longer if we
stick with air.  Hydrogen and sparks - what could possibly go wrong?

Re 2), Also good to know that losses were unaffected by materials in these
3 trials, but durability and quench time weren't addressed.

Re 3), Good to know that I was on the right track using higher than ambient
pressure in my vortex gap!  I have no idea though HOW much higher than 1
ATM was achieved, probably not a lot.

Minor correction to earlier posts - *Trigger* energy was not ~1K joule.  I
don't think this was a triggered gap at all.  The paper states:
The charging voltage for the capacitor was chosen to be 35 kV to ensure
that the total energy was greater than 1 kJ. A 35 kV charging voltage
resulted in 1.15 kilojoules of energy per shot.

Regards, Gary Lau
MA, USA

Virus-free.
www.avg.com
<#m_-7340377333231387345_DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2>