[Home][2017 Index] Re: [TCML] 42" Sparks 12/30 - John Freau [Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: [TCML] 42" Sparks 12/30 - John Freau

I used a 120 bps synchronous rotary gap on the TT-42 Tesla coil that
gave 42" sparks.  The design won't work well with a non-synch rotary.
My tap point is at 14.5 turns if I remember correctly, although I put on
21 turns of the 12awg wire.  I used a 4" x 13" spun aluminum toroid.

Of of the important things to know about tesla coils is that some things
are important and some are not.  Thickness of the wire, exact sizes,
etc tend not to be very important as long as their within a suitable range.
Of course the coil must be tuned properly and coupled up to the right
degree.  A TC using 0.25 copper tubing will work just as well provided
everything is adjusted and tuned well.  I just used 12awg wire to show
that it's not all that critical, and I wanted to build something that looked
rather different.  My old website at AOL and then some other webhosting
place disappeared.  My transformer is a 12/30 NST, however I had
taken it apart and removed the tar.  It's a robust older model which
tends to be a little more powerful than some newer ones.  A newer
transformer might only give a 38" spark.

With the 120 bps sync rotary, it's necessary to use a larger tank
capacitor.  I used 0.015uF.  This is important.  At low bps, you
need a large capacitor for a large bang size, for large power
throughput.  Spark length depends mostly on power throughput.

Do you have the full specs for my TT-42 coil and a photo?

John Freau