[Home][2017 Index] Re: [TCML] Remote coil [Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: [TCML] Remote coil

I run my 2kW coil through 20 feet of RG/8 coax with the shields grounded at the mains end and connected to the chassis at the coil end. The cable capacitance (about 600pF per side) can be used as part of a filter. The center conductor is adequate for mondo amps, compared to the puny 180mA that it's called upon to carry. The insulation has lasted for 20 years with 9kVAC. The extra expense is worth it in the long run.

--- Carl

On 7/18/2016 7:06 PM, John Cooper wrote:
I want to run the coil upside down from the ceiling bout 15ft high but have power source on floor.

-----Original Message----- From: undisclosed recipient via Tesla
Sent: Monday, July 18, 2016 7:59 AM
To: Tesla Coil Mailing List
Subject: Re: [TCML] Remote coil

Currently my MMC is six feet away from nst's and the primary using neon sign cable.
I have not noticed any degradation in performance.
The static spark gap is six inches and I would suspect that the same could be done with that.
I don't use a terry filter.
The main problem would be I/R losses and induced voltages by running them parallel for extended lengths, like you would for spark plug wires.

Sent from my iPad