[Home][2017 Index] Re: [TCML] Ballast / paralleling choke? [Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: [TCML] Ballast / paralleling choke?

Hi Jay,

As long as your ballast core is physically large enough to support the trifilar windings, it should work fine.

Bert

jhowson4 wrote:
Leading off my previous discussions of  variac ratings and ballast inductor questions.
Is there any reason I can't throw 3 seperate windings (wound trifilar) on to one ballast core with a common output and seperate inputs thus useing the ballast core as both a ballast and variac paralleling choke simultaneously?
Looking through the list archive, I see mention that for a 3 gang paralleling choke;
You can either use 3 smaller transformers with the variacs wiper output wound equally on each. And then an additional winding on each core which is in series with the other additional windings.
I also see that I could just wind 3 coils on one core.
I see much more discussion of the first multi transformer option than the second single transformer option. So I'm not sure of the validity of the single transformer option.
Any thoughts?
-Jay