[Home][2017 Index] Re: [TCML] 810 tube coil [Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: [TCML] 810 tube coil

Dave,

Let me say first of all that you do nice work!  Very impressive construction and design!
I looked at Steve's website again and even though it says the coil has 36 turns on the
primary, I count only 28 or so.  Of course since you're using thicker wire then more turns
would be needed for the same inductance.  For my VTTC's I usually use 28awg magnet
wire on a 3" by 11.25" winding for the secondary, and 23.5 turns (I think) of 12 gauge
stranded wire with thin PVC insulation for the primary (winding height is 3.25" if
I remember correctly).  I think I used 0.015 uF for the
tank capacitance.  That's with a 6" toroid.  I give these specs so you can put them
into JavaTC to see how much lower the primary is tuned compared to the secondary,
and see if yours has a similar frequency ratio.  That might be helpful for getting
some idea about the tuning.  Assuming that all your components are good, and
that the coil is wired up correctly, I suspect a tuning issue.  To tune my coils,
I like to keep the primary inductance fixed, and I vary the capacitance.  I do
this my mixing and matching various small capacitors.  I also use an air variable
capacitor in an oil bath in conjunction.  This lets me tune things very precisely.
There will be a range over which spark length will remain the same, but the
plate redness will dip at a certain tune point.  I then measure the C of the
capacitance array, and I then replace it with a fixed capacitor of the proper
value.

John