From: Tesla <tesla-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx> on behalf of Ed <evp@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Sunday, November 13, 2016 3:26 PM
To: Tesla Coil Mailing List
Subject: Re: [TCML] Tesla coil x Van de Graaff

I have had only one chance to see the big VDG run at the Boston MOS and
it was awesome to say least!  The TC's, at least when i was there, were
far enough away from the VDG terminal that they could have no effect.
Almost worth a trip to Boston just to see that show, at least for those
of us who love arcs and sparks....

Ed

On 11/13/2016 5:17 AM, Antonio Queiroz wrote:
> Em 11/11/2016 03:04, jimlux escreveu:
>> On 11/10/16 4:08 PM, Antonio Queiroz wrote:
>>> Hello:
>>>
>>> Did someone see what happens if you operate a Tesla coil close to a Van
>>> de Graaff generator, of similar size?
>>>
>>> Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz
>>>

>> With the VDG running? Or just sitting there.
>>
>> I've run my table top TC next to a tabletop VDG (Science First with
>> the 14" spheroid top electrode).  The VDG top accumulates charge and
>> you get some streamers reaching out towards it.
>>

>> The Boston Museum Of Science show has a bunch of large (By TC
>> standards) coils running next to a very large VDG.  When the VDG is
>> running, pretty much anything with curvature in the vicinity shows
>> corona streamers. I don't recall if there were any streamers or
>> phenomena from the sphere on the VDG when they were running the TC.
> Of course with the VDG running. I would expect some change in the
> shape of the streamers, as with one polarity the charge in them would
> be attracted while with the other it would be repelled by the VDG. But
> as the alternance is fast the effect is probably subtle. Corona around
> the VDG may be affected too, but this would be more difficult to see.
> I will try when the weather gets drier here.
>
> Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz
>

> ---
> Este email foi escaneado pelo Avast antivírus.
Avast | Download Free Antivirus for PC, Mac & Android<https://www.avast.com/antivirus>
Protect your devices with the best free antivirus on the market. Download Avast antivirus and anti-spyware protection for your PC, Mac and Android.