Paul

 The transformer will probably be labled 50\60hz.  Its fine
 to run a 50hz transformer at 60hz but going the other way,
 might pose problems.  You need to look at your location to
 figure out what your wall frequency is. A quick google
 search of line frequency in country X, will probably prove
 enlightening.
 Jim, is their more recent guidance with reguard to the mmc
 cap chart? I was under the assumption that the chart was
 decently well vetted by the community and sort of a go to
 standard. Is that still true?
 Cheers, Jay
 Sent from my Verizon 4G LTE Smartphone
 ------ Original message------From: p_novotny via Tesla Date:
 Wed, Jan 6, 2016 9:53 AMTo: Tesla Coil Mailing List;Cc:
 Subject:Re: [TCML] LTR Primary Cap on tesla coil
     Ok so according to the chart and to your
 calculations below I'd be looking for .01uF or 10nF.  I
 have a static spark gap.  15 of the 942C20P15k in series
 would get me exactly .01uF. I'll have to check to make sure
 the transformer is 60 hz when I get home. Thanks guys.Sent
 on the new Sprint Network from my Samsung Galaxy
 S®4-------- Original message --------From: jimlux
 Date: 01/06/2016  7:58 AM  (GMT-06:00) To: tesla@xxxxxxxxxx
 Subject: Re: [TCML] LTR Primary Cap on tesla coil On 1/5/16
 9:48 PM, Heather & Paul Novotny via Tesla wrote:> Hi,
 I have a 12,000 v 30ma NST for my power supply.>>
 Currently I am using a 5gal bucket cap filled with beer
 bottles and saltwater.  It measures .01315uF on my
 multimeter.  I am getting about 12-15" streamers off my
 toroid with this setup.>> I would like to try some
 Cornell Dubilier caps and am wondering what the LTR cap size
 would be for my power supply?60 or 50 Hz?"Resonant" is where
 the reactance of the capacitor is the same magnitude as the
 reactance of the transformer.The transformer reactance is
 simply E/I or 12,000/0.030 = 400k (technically, it's j400k,
 because it's an inductor)The reactance of a capacitor is
 1/(j*2*pi*frequency * C), where j is sqrt(-1).  Typically,
 you'd see the reactance as -1/(j*omega*C) where omega
 =2*pi*frequency.what you want is to rearrange this a
 bit..400k = 1/(omega*C) --> C = 1/(omega*400k)for 60 Hz
 omega = 377, so C = 1/(377*400k)  = 6.6 nFSo this is the
 resonant size (one you actually want to avoid)...You want
 Larger Than Resonant (LTR) ... typically 1.5-1.7 x the
 resonant size, which works out to 10-12 nF.If you're using
 the usual 2kV, 0.15 uF caps, 12 of them in series gets you
 there-> 12.5 nF @ 24kV or you could use 1600V caps..
 that's 19.2 kV, or 13 in series gives you 20.8 kV and 11.5
 nFwith a 15 kV transformer, the peak voltage is 1.414*15=
 21.21 kV.>> I saw a formula for it but I don't know
 what all of the variable names mean in the formula.>>
 Can someone please help me with this?>> Thanks -