From: David Speck <Dave@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Sun, Feb 14, 2016 7:06 am
Subject: Re: [TCML] Marx

Jim,

Richard Hull built a TC based on a hydrogen thyratron a number of years
ago.  It sorta worked, but was not spectacular.

Thyratrons are not well suited to TC use, because they do not tolerate
reverse direction currents well at all, and degrade quickly.  The
oscillating currents in the TC tank circuit travel in both directions
during the ringdown, and the reverse phase damages the tubes.

ISTR that someone tried to use two thyratrons in antiparallel, but
gating them was non-trivial.  Basically, a lot of work to make an
inappropriate device perform poorly.

Dave