[Home][2016 Index] Re: [TCML] Determining a transformer's voltage and current [Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: [TCML] Determining a transformer's voltage and current

If you believe the transformer is a current-limited type (e.g. bug
zapper, OBIT, NST but not pole pig and mostly-not MOT) you can measure
the output short-circuit current by simply hooking up an ordinary
ammeter (i.e. multimeter) on a suitable mA scale to the secondary.
The ammeter will present a short circuit to the transformer and will
not see a high voltage.  Be sure the fuse in the multimeter is intact
before you do this, and obviously keep a safe distance.

To get the turns ratio (and thus output voltage), you can turn the
transformer around, put 120V into the secondary and measure the
primary voltage.

Henry