[Home][2015 Index] Re: [TCML] Primary and secondary winding direction (CW or CCW)? [Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: [TCML] Primary and secondary winding direction (CW or CCW)?

Actually a couple of years ago I found that winding direction between the primary and secondary did make a significant difference in my little tabletop coil:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GeUgUQIJTSA
As you can see by the video title and my discussion, I was blaming the quality of the copper at first.But then someone on this list asked me about winding direction, and I took another look:
The primary coil as you see in the above video is would clockwise (if you look down on it as if from a bird's eye view, also can be seen in the video how the topmost turn of the primary comes around from behind and then up and over - revealing the turn direction)
and as I then posted in this video, comparing the secondary coils side by sidehttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4IA0RZ8rPOgThe coil with the darker reddish color - the one on the right here, that performed very will with the clockwise wound primary, as you see, is wound counter-clockwise.
So this would lead me to think that having the primary coil winding  direction _opposite_ the winding direction of the secondary gives the best results...or has anyone delved deeper into this in their own evidence based experiments?

Brian Hall