[Home][2015 Index] Re: [TCML] Primary coil spacers for Lexan ( polycarbonate ) circle 17.75" x 0.25" inch thick [Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: [TCML] Primary coil spacers for Lexan ( polycarbonate ) circle 17.75" x 0.25" inch thick

On Wed, 11 Feb 2015 17:55:40 -0600
Timothy Gilmore <tdg8934@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I purchased this base for my primary base.
> http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tesla-Coil-Lexan-Circle-Base-Primary-Secondary-/361162740274?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5416fa1232
>
> However all I got was just the Lexan circle base (not the primary coil
> spacers nor standoffs) as the ad stated. Pictures are great but I
> need to look closer next time. Anyway I need to buy or make spacers
> for the primary on this see through "bullet proof" base. I don't want
> to use wood as it would take away from the clear look of it. Does
> anyone know of any place that I can get these from? I don't really
> have any tools other than a drill so I would rather buy "reasonably"
> what would work.
>
> Thanks! - Tim

Hi Tim

I am sure some folks will suggest going to the grocery store or
Wal-Mart and pick up a HDPE or PP cutting board and cut that into
strips. Of course if you do not have a saw that could be a problem.
But, Internet to the rescue:
http://kiwi-breaching-products.myshopify.com/products/kbp-hdpe-strips-12-x-1-x-1-2
Just get four of those, drill holes (spaced and sized appropriately of
course) near to one edge (but not so close that they break through when
you drill them) and cut away the bit of the edge near the hole so that
you end up with a notch that is only slightly narrower than the hole.
Slightly narrower so that is so the primary coil tubing will "snap" into
place when you push it down and then stays put. Such cuts can be made
with only a hot knife. Or a hacksaw blade (cheap, and you do not even
need the saw).

The white HDPE may still detract from the "clear look of it" a bit, but
HDPE and PP have excellent electrical properties, not so much wood.
Wood tends to absorb and hold moisture, and is composed mostly of
carbon which is a good conductor, so wood would have to be kiln dried
and boiled in paraffin (or prepared similarly) to hold up in a high
voltage insulating application.

It may be possible to find pre-cut strips of clear acrylic or
polycarbonate. Acrylic is a bit tricky to work with. Polycarbonate is
not as tricky, but both materials are hard so the "snap" trick won't
work. You would have to tie down the copper tubing with nylon wire
ties or something, or split the strips and use half to clamp the tubing
down in the other half. That could be difficult to do accurately
without a table saw or the equivalent.

later
deano