[Home][2015 Index] Re: [TCML] VTTC primary question [Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: [TCML] VTTC primary question

Hi Andrea,

The secret lies in achieving a balance between several competing factors:
 For maximum tube efficiency, Z(effective) of the tube at f(res)= Z(effective) Primary at f(res).
You also want L(pri) x C(pri) = L(sec) x C(sec).
Output voltage gain ~ L(sec) / L(pri).argues for low L(pri), but
Too large a C(pri) and too low an L(pri) mismatches the primary circuit current draw to the tube.

. For tuning purposes, a few extra turns on the primary coil is easier to build and adjust than a variable
    capacitor with 5kV- 20kV standoff capability.

 The size of the coil winding pretty well determines L(sec)
 The size of the topload plus the secondary coil set the basic C(sec) and thus f(res). The
    streamers add some to the C(sec) which lowers f(res) at breakout.
With a fixed cap size, about the only variables you can easily change are the L(pri) and the feedback coiil.

Matt D