[Home][2015 Index] Re: [TCML] VDG Formerly : Seaching for Mike Delosier [Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: [TCML] VDG Formerly : Seaching for Mike Delosier

Hi Jay, the belts I use are deceptively cheap. You can find them at
wall-mart for around $8 a pack - look for latex exercise bands. You can get
a pack of 3 4ft long 6in wide with 3 resistance levels (thickness), or a 1
pack of 6ft long 6in wide at max resistance.

What I do is cut the bands into strips 2 inches wide (widthof my rollzer),
then size them about 1.8 * the distance between the middle of the rollers.
This gives a 10% stretch ratio but you can go more to 20% if you like.

The trick to joining them is to cut the ends at 45 degree angles and mark
another 45 degree line 1 inch from the end (on both sides). Make sure you
cut the ends with opposite angles!

Kind of like this (first angle is the cut the second is the reference line
for applying the glue and overlapping the ends).

\=\=======/=/

Then use 'rubber/latex cement' and apply to each end CAREFULLY about an
inch inwards (to where the additional line is marked). When you do this the
latex will want to curl, so droop it over a table edge so it can't roll
back on itself.

Now let the glue dry for at least 15-20 minutes, but not longer than one
hour. Then carefully arrange the two ends so you don't have a belt twist
and overlap the edges and press together. This is contact cement so be
extremely careful you have to align it pretty accurate.

For really long belts just join multiple sections together, I did this on
my 6 foot VDG with two sections and it works great (still works, even
though the belt has taken a beating from misaligned brushes).

I then clean my belts with liberal amounts of rubbing alcohol (98%) using a
saturated paper towel or cloth. Try to avoid the areas where the edges are
joined you don't want it on the glue.

Once the alcohol evaporates just check for any bits of crud and remove them
gently.

Now for rollers I use metal tape for neutral and PVC tape for negative.
I've tried all the other options including teflon but it's never beaten
that combo. i used cheapo $7 nylon bed casters from Menards or other
hardware stores. They are already made with a taper out taper in so it
auto-aligns the belt in almost all cases.

I just made a new 3 foot POSITIVE VDG today and it was working but suddenly
no charge, so I probably have some crud in the works or the belt needs a
clean. So when I take it apart I'll post pics of the belt.

Hope that helps, any questions let me know!

Cheers!

Matt Sweeney

On Mon, Aug 24, 2015 at 10:08 PM, jhowson4@xxxxxxxxxxx <jhowson4@xxxxxxxxxxx