From: Gary Lau <glau1024@xxxxxxxxx>
Date:04/08/2015  20:30  (GMT-06:00)
Subject: Re: [TCML] Tesla Coil parameters list like Tesla Map software (i.e.
  spark length, secondary height, # of NSTs)?

Hi Tim,

Posting some detailed photos of your coil components, in particular your
spark gap, would be very useful.  But from what's been said, I think your
spark gap may be fertile ground for improvement.  I agree with what others
have said as far as you cannot have spark gaps operating in parallel.
Series operation is often done but gap losses are higher when having
multi-segment gaps - there is a fixed on-voltage drop (not the breakdown
voltage) across each one.  Quenching is believed to be better but I'm not
convinced that offsets the greater losses.

Nothing has been said about the airflow through your gap, and that is VERY
important.  Just having a fan nearby wafting air in the general vicinity of
the gap does very little - you need the air focused in the very small area
that is arcing, particularly in high power static gaps.  For this reason, a
sucker-gap is very good (mine is at http://www.laushaus.com/tesla/onegap.htm,
many others can be found by Googling "sucker gap").  Sucker gaps are also
very easy to adjust.  You DO set your gap by determining at which point it
will just begin to arc with only the NST output (no caps) applied, right?
;-)

Regards, Gary Lau
MA, USA