[Home][2014 Index] [TCML] IGBT Substitutions [Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

[TCML] IGBT Substitutions

I just made my first tentative foray into the murky world off SSTCs, with the not unexpected release of the "magic smoke" when a MIDI controller got stuck on a high pulse rate, before I could turn it off.

The coil is a "Screamer" built by Tom Blitch in 2011. Tom's web site has disappeared, but I do have schematics.

The schematic calls for HGTG20N60A4 IGBTs. However, the schematic image shows them as having the built-in reverse protection diode, which I think would make the actually HGTG20N60A4D units.

I'm pretty sure I can substitute the -D units for those installed, but I noted that the manufacturer recommends substituting HGTG30N60A4D units for the original IGBTs.

The newer 30N60A4D units have twice the current capability, which might let them live a bit longer. The only unfavorable difference I can find on the spec sheets is that the turn off time is 38 ns for the 30N60A4D, compared with 32 ns for the 20N60A4D chips.

Would the extra 6 ns of turn-off time be expected to make a significant difference in operation?

Thanks,

Dave