[Home][2014 Index] [TCML] Technical Tesla Coil Questions [Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

[TCML] Technical Tesla Coil Questions

Dear Group,
I recently added a large steel ball to the top of my tesla coil. I noticed
the RF field intensified dramatically while spark length remained the same.

At 0.5 metres holding a plasma ball my fingers were burning from the
intense RF.

Question 1: is the topload acting as a capacitive transmitter? I mean is it
transmitting using a dielectric effect rather than electromagnetic.

Question 2: does the topload turn the secondary into a parallel or series
LC network? One plate of the capacitor being the air the other the ground?

Question 3: could the secondary topload be sufficiently sized to match the
inductance of the secondary?

I noticed in some photos Tesla used an elevated capacity. Was this for
transmission purposes or could it act as a delay line between the inductor
and capacitor?

Please don't hesitate to correct me. I just want to get this right.

I have a video as a companion to these questions:
http://youtu.be/-_8VLfoF0Lw

Cheers!
-Wil