[Home][2014 Index] [TCML] Finished: New 600bps Rotary, Power Controller + Variac for DC resonant charging TC [Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

[TCML] Finished: New 600bps Rotary, Power Controller + Variac for DC resonant charging TC

Hello all,

as announced some weeks ago, I now want to show you my current proceedings
with my DC resonant charging teslacoil. I just finished the rotary spark
gap, motor driven 3-phase variac which feeds the high voltage transformer
and also the power control box. Here is a video of it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wVpRE38UXqE

The rotary is made of a 450W DC Motor with a maximum speed of 12500rpm. The
speed is controlled by a variac. The disc-diameter is 25cm, equipped with 6
tungsten rods, each 6mm in diameter. The motor has a tacho generator on its
shaft, which feeds a speedometer in the control box. So this gives me an
absolutely precise measurement of both, disc speed AND bps! The meter
reading, which has a scale from 0 - 10, is just this simple:

x1000 = rpm's
x100 = bps

The rotary consists of 4 stationary electrodes, mounted to massive brass columns, 2 on each side of the disc,
which results in a total of 4 spark gaps. I think, this in combination with
the high speed / low dwell times will have some positive effects on the
quenching properties of the gap and very low speeds will be possible without igniting a firewheel.
In the video the rotary is accelerated up to 4000rpm (400bps) which is the
target bps for my system, where the maximum power will be processed, but
also up to 6000rpm are possible I think. Dwell time at 4000rpm is 252µs, at
6000rpm it's 168µs. But I should be aware of the following: Each electrode
weights 42,736g, so at 4000rpm it's weight rises to 86,7kg, at 6000rpm already
195,1kg! At the moment I'm happy with 400bps, maybe I shouldn't try more
rpm's with that calculations in mind :-)))

The 3-phase motor variac can also be controlled with the control-box,
voltage can be cranked up and down automatically and stopped at every
voltage.

Regards,
Stefan