 Subject: [TCML] "Fat Coil" QCW Double Resonant SSTC
 To: "Tesla list" <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
 Date: Sunday, November 16, 2014, 6:03 AM

 Hey Guys,

 I've been playing with larger arrays of fast-switching IGBTs
 for growing
 huge arcs from "tiny" coils.  The idea is that hotter
 plasmas can be
 achieved at lower voltages by upping the frequency.  At
 ~350Khz and above,
 its noted that the plasma tends to grow in straight segments
 which helps it
 reach further still...  A dramatic demonstration of
 this effect is shown
 here with an 8" long coil with just 165 turns of wire
 producing maybe
 100kVAC at 300khz is jumping 11 feet to the shop ceiling.

 https://www.flickr.com/photos/kickermagnet/15705193211/in/photostream/

 More pics at:

 http://forcijo.smugmug.com/Events/Teslathons/Philthon-2014/45663076_MtFqHw#!i=3689589842&k=M8Crsgs

 For those into the specs on components and such, I'll link
 my 4HV.org post
 from earlier today:

 http://4hv.org/e107_plugins/forum/forum_viewtopic.php?167363

 This coil is waiting for a 40kW power supply before it can
 sustain the 10+
 foot performance at high duty cycle.  For now its
 limited to bursts at any
 power level over 15kW (which can only produce about a 5-6
 foot discharge at
 50% "on time" or about 25% duty cycle considering its a
 triangular
 modulation signal).  Maximum peak power so far is
 190kW.  The maximum i'd
 bet my power electronics can handle is 260kW peak, so i
 think 13-14 foot
 sparks may be possible from my 8" tall winding... i'll set
 it up with more
 space next time and see :-).

 Steve