[Home][2014 Index] Re: [TCML] Maximum arc length from 700w VTTC? [Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: [TCML] Maximum arc length from 700w VTTC?

Wil,

Your VTTC is probably drawing more than 700 watts.
MOT's are slightly current limited but not much.
You can get more current by removing the shunts,
but you have to be careful not to damage the windings
if you remove the two shunts.

Using a doubler (level shifter) you'll still be running
half wave, but you'll get higher voltage and therefore
longer sparks.

I use the formula:

   spark length inches = 0.5*sqrt input watts,

to figure the spark length from a VTTC.  If you're
drawing  1200 watts then with a level shifter maybe
you'll get 17" sparks.

It's pretty standard to always want longer sparks
but if you build a 100kW VTTC it can be very
scary sounding when it's running.  You can reduce
the input power requirements by running in staccato
(pulsed) mode.

Due to spark loading/tuning/voltage issues, VTTC's have
trouble breaking out of a toroid without a breakout
point, and if you tune it to break directly out of a
toroid it will give shorter sparks
than otherwise.  Also running without a breakout
point stresses the tube more.  When there's
no spark breakout the primary voltage goes
higher.  A toroid should be used, but with a
break-out point.

VTTC current draw should be controlled by
using a higher grid leak resistance value rather than
by limiting the MOT.  This will increase the efficiency
of the circuit by reducing the tube conduction angle.

Cheers,
John