[Home][2014 Index] Re: [TCML] Winding problem [Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: [TCML] Winding problem

Wouldn't it be better to wind it "hot" than cold? Then the copper would already be expanded, and would tighten under normal temps.

________________________________
 From: Carl <cn8@xxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, May 9, 2014 1:08 AM
Subject: Re: [TCML] Winding problem

Has anyone had problems with unequal thermal expansion of copper and PVC
causing loose turns?  We wound a coil into epoxy at about 11:00 this
morning, and at 5:00 we had a bunch of loose turns.  (Slow setting epoxy.)
We put it in a dry sauna and they tightened back up, and it made the epoxy
set faster.  We had a similar problem on another coil, too.  The coefficient
of expansion of copper is 9.3 in/in degree F while PVC pipe is 28 9.3 in/in
degree F.  Maybe it would be best to wind it cold.

---Carl