[Home][2014 Index] Re: [TCML] Capacitors [Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: [TCML] Capacitors

I bought the TeslaMap software, which has an MMC calculator, but how do I know how much capacitance I should be aiming for?

On 3/18/14 3:36 PM, Tyler Burns wrote:
> So I'm looking at Cornell Dubilier's 942C series and I need some more
> guidance. Does the VDC rating matter since these use AC? Regardless,
> what range voltage rating should I be looking at? Or at least what is
> it related to so I can do my own calculations.As far as capacitance
> per individual cap, I assume that depends on how many caps I want to
> buy, as the number of strings and number in series can create
> infinite combinations to reach a specific capacitance. Oh and it will
> also depend on my voltage as well, so it can handle the voltage.
> Please correct any of this if it's wrong and answer any of these many
> questions if you can. Thanks guys,Tyler

There's some MMC calculators out there (geekgroup, maybe)..

DC rating is important  in the sense that you use that to figure out
your rating based on the peak voltage of your source.  For instance, a
15kV (RMS) NST has a peak voltage around 21 kV (15*1.414).. I'd be
comfortable with running 11 2kV caps in series (22kV).. i'd even be
comfortable running 10 in series.  Maybe even 9, living a bit dangerously.

There's lots of posts in the archives from more than 5 years ago about
how far you can push these babies.  (you might look for "EMMC")

A more important thing for longevity is the RMS current.  Overheating
will kill capacitor.