[Home][2014 Index] Re: [TCML] Spark Output? [Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: [TCML] Spark Output?

Hi Tim,

Assuming you're using copper electrodes, try taking some silicon carbide sandpaper and sanding the active area of all the gap electrodes. Over time, a partially-conducting layer of copper oxide can develop in the gap. This layer tends to reduce the effective gap spacing and also may become incandescent when running the gap. The result is reduced breakdown voltage and poorer quenching of your main gap. Both of these effects will significantly reduce the output voltage and power of your coil. Retune your coil at lower power levels before firing it up at full power with the newly-cleaned gaps.

Bert
--
Bert Hickman
Stoneridge Engineering

Tim Flood wrote:
My old reliable coil's streamer length was gradually diminishing from white
long sparks to shorter purple sparks and finally purple sparks for about
ten seconds then no sparks. Additionally, racing arcs were beginning to
occur.

The MMC value checked out, all connections checked out, I cleaned and
re-connected the dedicated RF ground, etc.

The old design utilized two paralleled 9/60 NST, 3" dia. sec. and a 3"x12"
toroid with a spark gap consisting of four fixed gaps in series.

I suspected the transformers so I replaced these with the only other one I
had, a 15/30 NST. I ran the new transformer, required capacitance of .008uf
along with the existing secondary, spark gap and top load through JAVATC.
Modifications were then made per the JAVA.

The first light of the modified coil only produced a weak purple spark with
a break-out point. Tuning only served to create racing arcs, with no
improvement in performance.

Now I suspect the secondary. So, I rewound and varnished the secondary.
Same dismal performance as before. Now I'm about ready to loose it, to the
point I'm explaining this all to my wife.

The only thing I didn't touch was the spark gap and gap spacing. It was set
for .030" for each of the four gaps and I made no adjustment when I
switched transformers.

Sorry for the long post, but I would really appreciate any ideas.

Thank you,

Tim Flood