[Home][2014 Index] Re: [TCML] Base [Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: [TCML] Base

On 3/4/14 5:58 AM, David Rieben wrote:
Wow! $160? That sounds pretty steep to me. How thick are they? I can get a 1/2" thick 15"x20" HDPE
cutting board from my local Sam's Club for $8.98 + local sales tax. Plus, I don't have the hassle of S&H
charges and the wait. If we are talking about the same 1/2" thickness, the Sam's cutting boards are
less than half as much per square inch than the Grainger's squares that you referred to. Now if you need
thicker than 1/2", then that's a different story ;^)

Cutting boards are also available in 3/4" and (less commonly) in 1". For local, no shipping, check for restaurant suppliers.

The largest easily available size is 18x24, in my experience.

$160 for 4 pieces of HDPE 24x24 is paying somewhat of a premium for the cutting/packaging. Last time I checked, a 1/2" thick 4'x8' sheet of HDPE was around $180-200, and that's twice the plastic.

If that was for 1" thick, then $160 is a good deal.

One issue with the cutting boards is that they tend to have slightly rounded corners, so if you are "tiling" an area, you need to trim them down, etc.

They're also not "shiny smooth", which HDPE sheet usually is.

I suppose one could run a cutting board with textured surface through a planer/sander and polish it up.