[Home][2014 Index] Re: [TCML] Neon Sign Transformers-Recommendations. [Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: [TCML] Neon Sign Transformers-Recommendations.

On 07/31/2014 06:02 PM, mddeming--- via Tesla wrote:
[snip]
>Over the years (50+) I
> have used Alanson, Franceformer, and Actown NSTs with reasonable
> results. You will want to get "Old-style" NSTs that weigh about "2
> hernias".

An added bonus of finding an old-style tranny is that if you get one
that is potted in tar you can unpot them and remove some of the current
limiting shunts, which is typically done to provide two to three times
(max) the nameplate-rated current.

This will obviously increase the current draw of the transformer, but
for short runs in a tesla coil application it is usually fine (I doubled
the current output of both a 12/60 and 15/60 that I have, and they work
great).

Something to think about for when you get down the road and done with
your current coil.

Jon