[Home][2014 Index] Re: [TCML] DRSSTC driver [Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: [TCML] DRSSTC driver

Its purpose is to damp parasitic ringing of the "DC blocking capacitor"
with the GDT leakage inductance.  Without the damping resistance, the GDT
output will ring at the end of the driving cycle, sometimes enough to turn
IGBTs back ON when they should be OFF.  You can inspect the waveforms
without the resistance, i found it to be unacceptable with ringing up to 5V
or more after shut down.

The resistor lets some DC through, but its limited to less current than
would ever saturate a proper GDT.  Leaving the drivers in a driving state
too long (one high, one low) could burn out the resistor, but i have never
had problems with it.

Steve