[Home][2014 Index] Re: [TCML] Primary [Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: [TCML] Primary

On 4/4/14 9:13 AM, mddeming@xxxxxxx wrote:
"300Apk" is texting slop for 300 Amps (instantaneous peak) ;^)

-----Original Message-----
From: t-burns14 <t-burns14@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: tesla <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Fri, Apr 4, 2014 8:54 am
Subject: Re: [TCML] Primary

My NST is 7500V at 30 mA. What unit is Apk?

I don't know that peak current is all that important *for the primary inductor*:

I would say that the primary RMS current is the thing you want to know, because it's a heating thing. and by "conservation of energy", you know that the maximum power into the primary is less than the maximum power out of the transformer (in your case, 225 Watts).

You can estimate the peak current in the primary by knowing the capacitance, inductance and voltage. You assume that all the energy in the capacitor winds up in the primary inductor, so

1/2* L*I^2 = 1/2 * C*V^2

or, doing a bit of algebra:
Ipk = sqrt(C/L)*Vpk

that said, you do care about peak currents because the primary capacitors ratings depend on di/dt.