Re: [TCML] OLTC midi problem

Dave,
It sounds like you were getting very narrow spikes in the drive to gate of your IGBT which were triggering it, probably between charging cycles.

The addition of a small cap or scope has created a small low pass filter. It is likely that the duration of these spikes is too small to have been picked up by the scope.

They may be created by the controller and pass unnoticed by the scope, through the opto (assuming the opto is a fast one)

Having some resistance in series with the gate will also add a low pass filter element using the gate capcitance and resistor as an RC filter.

It may also be true that you are getting a small parasitic spark somewhere that is creating these short pulses.

I find adding caps across 0v and/or VCC to earth and/or case often removes this sort of issue.

Another possibility is an earth loop, ensure where possible all your earth paths are not paralleled and terminate to a single 0V point. This reduces induction and the pickup from any stray spark.

I have spent hours of time trying to pin down the causes of this sort of issue. Good luck.

    Derek