[Home][2013 Index] Re: [TCML] DC Coil progress. and housing MOT's [Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: [TCML] DC Coil progress. and housing MOT's

> Some woods have salts in them, would still suggest not best practice when
> cheap accessible alternatives are available but does suggest a small
amount
> of wood relative to the amount of oil may not be an issue particularly if
the
> wood is well chosen for the job Rgds Ted l in NZ

When I used to build breadboard transmitters in my impoverished youth more
than a half-century ago, I used wood for homemade coil supports and  high
voltage standoffs. I would boil the wood in hot paraffin wax until the wood
quit giving off bubbles. At that point, all the air and moisture had been
driven out of the wood. Then I would let the wax pot cool down until it
began to form a skin over the top of the hot wax in the pot, and then I
would remove the wood from the wax and let it cool. If I sawed the wood in
half, I would see that the wax had penetrated all the way through the wood,
preventing any new moisture from entering the wood. The result was a good
insulator, at least for my transmitters and the RF they produced.

Best DX & 73,

Ralph  W5JGV - WD2XSH/7