[Home][2013 Index] Re: [TCML] Unusual dielectric media [Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

On 11/25/13 9:45 AM, mrapol@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> For a while now I have submerged capacitor arrays in dielectric media to
> suppress corona,. arc-over, etc. I first used castor oil (K=4.7) and
> that worked fine, but it's not so easy to get. I read on a list
> dielectric materials that glycerin has a high K (47-68!) but I was
> afraid that, being anhydrous, it would absorb water and lead to
> corrosion. I set up four 20KV caps in parallel in a bottle and filled it
> with off the shelf glycerin, the USP kind sold as an emollient. After
> more than a year there isn't a speck of corrosion on the caps or linking
> hardware.
>
> Recently I found a new list of dielectric media and saw a listing for
> "syrup" (?) having a K of  50-80. Apparently this is corn syrup. Now,
> corn syrup ought to considerably cheaper than castor oil or glycerin. I
> think I'll start a new bottled array soon. I don't suppose anyone out
> there has tried this already?

Why are looking for high dielectric constant liquids to immerse
capacitors in.  Aren't you using it in this case as just an insulator.
That is, you're not using it as the "inside" of the capacitor dielectric.

Typically, for an insulator, what you look for is robustness (breakdown
voltage doesn't change with small amounts of contaminants), lack of
spoilage, etc. (most liquids have very similar breakdown voltages)