[Home][2013 Index] Re: [TCML] Sf6 byproducts [Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: [TCML] Sf6 byproducts

On 11/7/13 7:51 PM, jhowson4@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> Hey everyone,
> We use sf6 filled sparkgaps at work (10 psi),  the insides after much use are coated in a white powdery substance.
> Can anyone tell me what this substance is, and how toxic it is.

It's typically some fluoride compound, and like all fluorides, it's
moderately toxic (not instant death, but don't go sprinkling it on your
popcorn).  A bigger issue might be that it forms a fairly corrosive
mixture if it gets wet.

BTW, SF6 in some cases will form HF (hydrogen from water or the
enclosure), which is truly nasty stuff. In a small spark gap, the volume
is small so unlikely to be an issue.  In a big system, it might not be
so fun.

http://www.epa.gov/electricpower-sf6/documents/sf6_byproducts.pdf

http://www.epa.gov/electricpower-sf6/documents/conf06_averyt.pdf

SF6 is great stuff.. pretty inert as it comes, great insulator, good
quenching, non-toxic.   But gosh, it has all that fluorine in it, so
decomposition and reaction products are ugly. Halogens are the root of
much evil, when it comes to haz mat.