Re: [TCML] GE Transformer

Your spool of wire for a choke got me to thinking--caps should work as well as inductors. It seems that a series cap of 400 uFd should limit a 120 volt line to about 2kW, the size of my coil. You could do this with four 100 uFd motor run capacitors, which can be obtained from Grainger for $28 each. I don't know if anyone has tried this, but it seems like it should work. Those caps are made for continuous high currents.

---Carl

-----Original Message----- From: McCauley, Daniel H
Sent: Tuesday, April 30, 2013 4:40 AM
To: Tesla Coil Mailing List
Subject: [TCML] GE Transformer

That IS a potential transformer and a great find!

These can be run at 3kVA for short internals and are perfect for Tesla coil use. As Terry Blake originally demonstrated, you can ballast these to approx. 3kVA (240mA output current) using a 500 foot spool of 12 AWG stranded wire (from Lowes / Home Depot etc...) wired in series with the 120VAC input.

Good luck!
Dan
http://www.easternvoltageresearch.com

Sorry if this was posted before, but I don't think so. I keep getting dropped from list.

I recently purchased a GE Voltage transformer, Type JVM-5, 120:1, 14,400/120V. Am I right in thinking this is substantially similar to a Potential transformer and suitable for TC use?

The info I've found so far only indicates this Voltage Trans. is for indoor use only and very accurate in maintaining voltage.

Any info will be appreciated.

Tim