RE: [TCML] Using Triggered Gaps, was Designing a Coil Around a SRSG

Do you guys have pics or schematics that I can have a quick look at.  I'm sure if I sit here and think about it long enough, I'll figure it out

-----Original Message-----
From: tesla-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx [mailto:tesla-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Futuret
Sent: Saturday, March 23, 2013 12:04 PM
To: tesla@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [TCML] Using Triggered Gaps, was Designing a Coil Around a SRSG

I experimented with two methods that used an automotive ignition coil to trigger the cap using a centrally located tungsten rod placed halfway between the main static gap.
One method supplied voltage to the ignition coil to create the HV pulse, the other method removed voltage from the coil to create the pulse (inductive kick).  Both methods worked and I controlled the timing using a lamp-dimmer type triac/diac phase controller to time the spark.  (I used phase angle to trigger time-wise, not voltage.)  Both methods were a little touchy to adjust and were at the edge of their ranges for best results.  This was based on work that Mark Metlica did years ago, and John Tebbs also did some designing on the inductive kick method if I remember correctly.  This work should all be in the Pupman archives.  I had to set the main gap about 5/8" to 3/4" wide to prevent premature firing using a 12/30 NST.  I did these triggered static gap tests using my TT-42 coil which normally ran with a
120 bps synchronous rotary gap.

   Jim wrote:

"On this basis, one would expect a single triggered gap with long path to be better than a multigap."

I agree.

Cheers,
John Freau