RE: [TCML] Designing a Coil Around a SRSG

Mine runs on a blown gap, and once it's been running for a bit, there is a carbon build up, and the damn thing won't fire.  So in order to make sure it keeps firing, the gap is smaller than it should be.  Not the most efficient way of doing things.  Once I get access to a machine shop again, I'm going to make a motor mount to be able to do it right.

-----Original Message-----
From: tesla-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx [mailto:tesla-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Jim Lux
Sent: Saturday, March 23, 2013 10:54 AM
To: Tesla Coil Mailing List
Subject: Re: [TCML] Designing a Coil Around a SRSG

On 3/23/13 7:25 AM, Carl Noggle wrote:
> Hey---
>
> After a couple of years of reading the wisdom in these posts, I still
> am not sure what advantage the rotary gap has over a blown static gap.
> Could any enlighten me?  thanks much...

Control of number of breaks per second (by number of electrodes on rotor or stator) and relative timing to line frequency.

A blown static gap fires when the voltage gets "high enough".

I think a well designed blown triggered gap could do as well (if not
better) than a rotary, but it trades electronics complexity for mechanical complexity.

A rotary gap could have better quenching, but I'm not sure.  The arc stretches pretty long after the initial presentation and firing, and ultimately, I think it's really no different than stretching the arc in a blown gap.