Re: [TCML] primary tap location

Dave,

The way I imagined it is:

What would happen if you applied voltage to the center tap and one winding end of a center tapped filament transformer. Working in the other direction, if the center tap of a filament transformer is at 0 volts, then at the AC peak, one winding end of the transformer would be at +6 volts, while the other winding end would be at -6 volts. I think it would work the same way with the TC primary.

If you ground the outside end of the primary, there would be a higher potential, roughly double the applied voltage, through the autotransformer effect, at the inner terminus if you drive the coil at the midpoint.

If you ground the midpoint of the coil, then the voltage at the inner terminus would be roughly equal and opposite to that at the outside.

Dave Speck