Re: [TCML] Faraday Cage

On 6/16/13 1:22 PM, Jim wrote:
This is just a small coil that stands about 4 high and using two 9KV
NSTs. My intention for the Faraday shield is shielding EMI/EMC. I am
putting the coil in a local fair and want to keep other people's
electronics safe.

A cage will do fine at keeping sparks from hitting "other stuff" but is, I think, of limited value for EMI/EMC, if you're thinking like "shielded room". It's very tough to build a shielding enclosure that will stop propagation and that you can still see through. And, passing the power and control lines through the cage wall is problematic.

The cage will help the EMI/EMC just because it provides a good low impedance return path for the sparks back to the secondary, so you're less likely to be inducing potentials in the surrounding wiring. But it's far from perfect.

So from that standpoint, having no top isn't as big a deal as surrounding the coil completely and having a floor.

Hey thanks,

Jim

what are you using it for? How big does it need to be? Does it need to
be portable?

The design is very different if you're "limiting the reach of sparks" vs
"shielding EMI/EMC".

For the former, chicken wire on some sort of frame would work well.
Rectangular mesh fencing would also work.

Does anyone have any recommendations on the design and construction of a
Faraday cage?