Re: [TCML] First coil

On 06/14/2013 02:39 PM, Liam wrote:
I'm planning to build my first tesla this summer, and I'm thinking of going solid-state. This is because I don't have an NST or OBIT. Could someone with experience with a SSTC give me some advice?
Also I don't need any safety rants, even though I'm only 15. I've used MOTs, flybacks, massive capacitors, and other high voltage or high current power.
The reason I'm hesitant to make a conventional spark gap tesla coil is because I can't afford to buy a neon sign transformer online, especially with shipping, and there are no stores near me I could go to. I'm leaning towards solid state because I can easily buy a few ICs online and then get the rest from a local electronic component supplier. Could someone with SSTC experience tell me if this is a good place to start?
As far as the complexity goes, I've made circuits almost that complex before so I think that's doable. The plans I'm thinking of using are here:
http://www.stevehv.4hv.org/SSTC6.htm
I'm planning to make the first schematic since adding the 555 timer just increases cost

Tesla mailing list
Tesla@xxxxxxxxxx

If you have used MOTs and flybacks, why not use one of those with a spark gap?

Where do you live? I may be able to donate an OBIT or NST to your cause (if you rethink your safety attitude).

Solid state drivers are easily killed by ring back.
I would be inclined to use an automotive ignition coil for this kind of project. Here is a link: http://www.rmcybernetics.com/projects/DIY_Devices/homemade_tesla_coil.htm