Date: Tue, 30 Jul 2013 18:40:07 -0700 (PDT)
From: David Rieben <drieben@xxxxxxx>
Subject: [TCML] Flywheel Pulley on Treadmill Motor
To: "tesla@xxxxxxxxxx" <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>

Hi all,

I was hoping that I could dip into the collective knowledge of this group
on my inquiry, as I've never
dealt with this before. I have an old treadmill that finally bit the dust
(mainly due to the electronic con-
trols messing up). Since it's about 10 years old, I figured it wasn't
worth the cost and/or effort that it
would take to troubleshoot and fix it but I could not resist rescuing that
nice 1.5 HP cont. duty, DC
drive motor from the landfill. Like many treadmill duty motors, it has a
nicely balanced weighted fly-
wheel pulley on the drive end of the ~3/8" shaft and I was wondering
what's the best way to remove this
flywheel with minimal collateral damage to the motor and shaft that it's
attached to? I'm wondering if the
motor would run too hot even if the flywheel was successfully removed, as
the inner side of the flywheel
has impeller vains that seem to moving most of the air through the motor
and I doubt that there are any
impeller fan blades inside the motor housing, due to its relatively small
size. In other word, I'm concerned
that the motor is only designed to run with the weighted flywheel pulley
in place. It looks as if the shaft
end may be threaded and the flywheel pulley is simply screwed onto the
shaft but I also wonder how
much torque it would require to remove it and how one would go about
locking down the shaft so the
flywheel could be broken free from it? Of course I'm imagining being able
to secure a rotory disc to the
motor shaft for a possible variable speed ARSG and I had also thought of
simply leaving the flywheel in
place and drilling holes in it for passing through bolts into matching
holes on the garolite rotory disc.
However, this would be problematic due to the fanned out impeller vains on
the inside, motor-facing
side of the flywheel. Not that I have to have a ready made ARSG anytime
soon, as I already have a
complete one that's working fine in my current big SG driven coil, but I
was just wondering how to
go about this for possible future reference.

Thanks for any advice,
David Rieben