From: bturner <bturner@xxxxxxxx>
Sent: Sat, Jul 27, 2013 12:37 pm
Subject: Re: [TCML] Large Neon Transformer

They are called Bombarder transformers. The purpose is to create a high
current through the glass tubing (under vacuum with NO other gasses) to
heat up everything and literally boil off any contaminants. When then used
to 'burn in' the tube after filling, a current reactor choke is used to
limit the current WAYYYYYYY down.

If it were me, I'd provide some sort of protection, or run the spark gap
across the transformer, and the primary cap in series with the primary
inductor.

- b