Re: [TCML] Simple MOT question?

Nick,

The phase relationship between primary and secondary is arbitrary. It is only relevant in you want to series or parallel connect to or more transformers.

If you plan to series or parallel connect transformers, you have to determine the phase relationship experimentally. Feed a low voltage into the HV secondary windings, and observe the relationship of the much lower voltages at the primary windings.

If you are using a digital voltmeter, you may get more reliable readings if you shunt the probes with a 5,000 - 10,000 ohm power resistor. Some high impedance DVMs produce bizarre and irreproducable readings when used in this sort of test setup. I once wasted half a day truing to figure out the windings from a band saw blade welder because of that issue.

Dave