Re: [TCML] color salts for sparks on tesla coils

My thought is that the wood provides a reservoir of salt to feed the arc a vapour of the chemical. With a metal breakout the chemical is quickly burnt away, with the exception of sodium which is so reactive small amounts last for ages even on metal breakouts.

Another supposition is that the arc needs to form through the vapour, again the wood provides a much larger cloud, just having the dry chemical at the breakout isn't very effective.

    Derek