[TCML] Re: Toroid Size

Hi John,

Is there a good rule-of-thumb for sizing a toroid to a given secondary dimension? I'm planning on using a 4x16 toroid with a 5x32 secondary winding. Does that seem like a reasonable match? I'm about to wind the secondary and thought I'd ask first.

Cheers,
Greg

Hi Brandon,

Yes, it's definitely possible to have a toroid that's too big.  If the toroid
is too big, sparks will only break out when using a breakout point or
bump.

The proper size of toroid depends on how many sparks you want to
see coming off the toroid.  If the toroid is large enough to produce
only one spark streamer... well then you'll get one streamer.  If the
toroid is smaller, then you'll get two streamers, and if smaller yet,
then you'll get 3 streamers, etc.  The smaller the toroid, the more
streamers, but they'll be shorter.

I happen to like the look when the streamers oscillate from side
to side of the toroid and occasionally show 2 full streamers.  This
will give pretty long sparks and good spark action.  To me this is
the most exciting type of look.  Some folks prefer a full head of
streamers, etc.

Low break rate coils probably need a little larger toroid to get just
one streamer.

On my TT-42 TC which gives 42" sparks using a robust 12/30 NST,
I use a 4" x 13" spun toroid and I get about 3 simultaneous sparks
I guess.  I tested a 6" x 24" toroid on the coil and it gave a single
streamer but needed a breakout bump to break out reliably.
Clearly a 6" x 24" toroid was too large in my view.  However the
sparks were a little longer, about 44" or so.  I didn't try a 5" x 16"
toroid, but that would have been interesting to try.  Folks often use
a 5" x 16" spun toroid for a 15/60 NST powered coil.  I used to offer
a 5" x 16" size but it was just too time consuming to make.
I do offer a 4" x 13" spun toroid ($165, free shipping in USA,
as-spun finish).  Amazing Science ( www.amazing1.com/toroids.htm )
offers a 4.5" x 18" toroid for about $240 I think plus shipping.  I have
no connection with them.

   My website is:
    http://futuret.110mb.com

Cheers,