From: "adam karvonen" <adam.karvonen@xxxxxxxxx>
To: tesla@xxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Wednesday, August 7, 2013 10:59:35 PM
Subject: [TCML] Minimum number of MMC strings?

Hi,

I am in the process of designing my first tesla coil. It uses a 9 kv 30 ma
NST, which gives a LTR cap size of about 0.0133 uf tank cap. While
designing the MMC, I have come across conflicting advice on MMC design. On this
tesla coil design
guide<http://www.tiagoespinha.net/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/259168-Tesla-Coil-Construction-Plans.pdf>,
the author writes that "You should always have at least 5 strings in
parallel (increase string length if necessary),
because each string has to deliver huge currents. If you have multiple
strings in series,
each string will have to contribute less current and it will last longer
than if you have just
one string (which would blast in an instant.)"

However, I have seen plenty of MMCs with just 1 or 2 strings. For example,
there is this <http://www.tb3.com/tesla/capacitors/capacitors.html>,
this<http://www.halice.com/physics/4coil.html>and
this <http://www.derivedlogic.com/TeslaCoil/TeslaCoil.html>. How many MMC
strings would I need for my 270 watt transformer? I would prefer to use
fewer strings to save money.

Thanks!

Adam