Re: [TCML] picture tube capacitor?

Seems to me that the actual measured C of a picture tube would largely depend on the size of the said tube, along with the thickness of the glass walls of the tube. I recall some 20-odds years ago (when I was a whole lot dumber about such things) :^) that I dismantled a standard tube type TV (that's all we had at the time). I believe it was a 19" tube and I didn't realize that the tube could hold a HV charge long after being disconnected from the power ...... Well, I think you can guess what happened when I got to fooling around with the inside of the "suction cup" insulator! One wicked, mule-kick jolt!!!  >:^O  I'm glad it wasn't a 27" tube! I learned my lesson well to NOT do that any more ;^()

David

From: Carl Noggle <cn@xxxxx>
Sent: Monday, April 29, 2013 10:09 AM
Subject: Re: [TCML] picture tube capacitor?

I checked a few TV CRTs several years ago and they were in the range of 1000 pF, about the equivalent of two 500pF, 30kV doorknobs.  The grey aquadag coating on the outside is the ground and the anode connector is the inside. It would probably be easiest to connect to it using a proper conductor, since it has a rubber suction cup-like feature that keeps sparks from sliding across the glass to the aquadag.  It would probably work better with the vacuum to avoid sliding sparks elsewhere.

---Carl

-----Original Message----- From: Co60bishop