Re: [TCML] TC design manual

On 4/6/13 8:26 AM, Holbok István wrote:
Dear Tesla Friends,

I have just started my first TC building.
I would like to ask you where can I find in the Internet good,
understandable manual how to design (count, calculate etc.) a TC L1 - L2
windings, capacitors and proper driver for L1 coil.

If you can advice me a link, it would be very helpful me for the start.

You've received some links..

But as a general rule..Most people start with a neon sign transformer as a power source: 12-15kV at 30mA is typical.

You wind a secondary that is 5-10 cm (2-4") in diameter and 30-50cm (12-20") long on a form that is a bit longer (leaving a 5cm/2" space at top and bottom. A typical ratio of length/diameter for a small coil is 5:1, but it's not critical. The secondary wire is chosen to be a diameter such that you get 600-900 turns: for instance 800 turns in 18 inches is about 45 turns/inch, or wire that is 0.02" in diameter.

On top of the secondary, you put a toroidal terminal, usually made from flexible aluminum ducting and a pie pan, or equivalent. For most people the overall diameter of the topload terminal is about the same as the length of the secondary winding, or maybe 70% of the length (that is, a coil that stands 50cm tall would have a top load 30-40cm in diameter)

You use one of the many calculators out there (JavaTC is good.. I use an old Excel spreadsheet from Ed Sonderman) to figure out what kind of primary L and C you need.

Unless you happen to have capacitors around, many people start with a salt water and beer bottles in a bucket capcitor. If you're buying capacitors, a series combination of polypropylene snubber capacitors (CDE 942P is the popular series) is used. For a 15kV neon transformer, a string of 10 capacitors, rated at 2kV, 0.15 uF is popular. That gives you 0.015 uF total, and you adjust your primary size/turns to make that resonant.

A simple static spark gap, and you're ready to go.