Re: [TCML] Re: Toroid

Hi Christian,

It sounds to me like you may have reached the performance
limit from your particular desing from the available 1.1 kVA
(1.1 kVA doesn't necessarily = 1.1 kW). You could possibly
"squeeze" some more spark length out of you coil with a power
factor capacitor in parallel with the 120 volt input to your transfor-
mer. Proper PFC can help bring the actual wattage closer to
the volt-amps.

However, to me, 36" of spark from 1100 VA input isn't
"horrible" performance, at least not in my book. Most coilers
have a bit of trouble acheiving the performance vs. power input
that John Freau achieved with his 42" spark from 12/30 NST,
(overdriven with 140 volts input from a variac). As a matter of
fact, John came up with a rule of thumb formula for estimating
the spark length vs. power - square root of input VA x 1.1 =
the spark length, in inches, I believe. So with a 1600 VA input,
you're looking at about 44" of spark output, once the coil is
optimally tuned in. Of course, John's coil quite exceeded the
1.1X factor, but he was using a synch rotary with LTR primary
C, too.

Beyond that, you will simply need  more available power to
extend your spark length any more.

David

----- Original Message ----- From: "Christian Hill" <monolegal@xxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Saturday, September 29, 2012 5:31 PM
Subject: [TCML] Re: Toroid

Hello. I constructed the 30" top load as advised and much to my dismay, I
am still getting multiple smaller arcs. If I change the tuning and add a
Breakout point, I can get one, sometimes two, larger arcs. I can't get the
arcs to exceed 3'; I feel my coil is under performing for the 1.1kw I am
pumping into it. My smaller top load is almost more impressive, as it
produces arcs of comparable length from a much smaller package. Any advice?
Thanks.