Re: [TCML] How do they ballast BIG coils?

A 220VAC welder (spatterbox) makes a good ballast. Short the LV welding outputs together and the current control will control the current. The line cord leads are the reactor connections. I've used three of these for current control of a large 3-phase DC power supply. Worked fine.

---Carl

-----Original Message----- From: Christoph Bohr
Sent: Friday, September 14, 2012 12:10 AM
To: Tesla Coil Mailing List
Subject: Re: [TCML] How do they ballast BIG coils?

I can't say for sure and I lack the time to read all the
info again right now, but I assumed they slotted the core of the variacs,
thats at least what I would do, however you have to provide some
supports that keep the laminations in place while and after cutting,
otherwise you would end up with some serious "boink" I guess....

Without an airgap it can not work IMHO

A large saturable reactor could be another approach....

I did not know about the ward Leonard thingy, but supports personal
impression of those early days, the had less and menaged quite a lot... ;-)

best regards

Christoph Bohr