Re: [TCML] Triplet three phase tesla coil

On 9/1/12 7:49 AM, Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz wrote:
On 31/8/2012 00:42, Jim Lux wrote:

I keep thinking that there's some way to do a three phase balancing RF
transformer.   Think of like a "neutral forming" or "zig zag"
transformer to force 3 phase balance.  then you'd drive one of the
primaries, and let the transformer force the other two to be in triple
phase.
With just an ideal transformer there is no way. Single phase to three
phases means that at the nulls of the input there are outputs at at
least two of the outputs. Some form of energy storage in reactive
elements is necessary to obtain this.

Yes... What I was thinking is that you want the energy to be rotating through 3 resonant circuits. Sort of like 2 coupled resonantors. The question is whether you can force the sequence and the balance.

Or, some Delta connection of Ls and Cs to create an appropriate
resonant configuration.  The problem I see is that with 3Ls and 3Cs
you have 3 (at least) resonances, and getting them matched is
impossible.. So you want some sort of scheme that forces the 120
degree phase shift.

This may be possible. Something as a single primary capacitor feeding
three Tesla transformers through LC phase-shifting networks, so the
three outputs grow simultaneously, with the same amplitude but with
different phases, with identical energies. An adequate structure has to
be found for this, but it seems possible. The main complication of the
idea is the unavoidable magnetic and electric coupling among the three
secondaries at small distance, that is difficult to model and control.

Yes.. but if the coupling is low between primary and secondary, then the secondary effects will be smaller..

I wonder if one could synthesize a network that guarantees 120 degrees between phases like the lattice networks that are used for 90 degree audio hybrids (before DSP made them obsolete<grin>)

Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz